Conferences (first half of 2018): What Are We Hearing, What Are the Trends We’re Seeing, and What Does All of That Mean for Those We Serve Through Training-Teaching-Learning-Doing?
Okay…so that is where we started, but we quickly wandered:
- Social awareness issues
- Responding to bullying, etc.
- ALA panel on podcasting (So You Want to Podcast…)
- The conference after the conference (a.k.a. networking at social events)
- Artificial intelligence
The panel from “So You Want to Podcast…” was (from the ALA web site):
- Sara Benson, host of Copyright Chat, a podcast dedicated to discussing important copyright matters. She is a copyright librarian, attorney, and assistant professor at University of Illinois Library in Urbana-Champaign.
- Maurice Coleman hosts the longest-running library training and presentation podcast T Is for Training. He is technical trainer at Harford County Public Library in Maryland. For 25 years he has facilitated live and virtual workshops and learning opportunities across the country. He was named a Library Journal Mover and Shaker in 2010.
- Angela Ocana, co-host of the comic and manga fandom podcast One Panel Later, is a teen services supervisor with Eugene Library in Oregon. She is an American Library Association Emerging Leader, California Library Association Teen Librarian of the Year, and contributes to No Flying No Tights.
- Steve Thomas is host and producer of the Circulating Ideas podcast, which facilitates conversations about the innovative people and ideas allowing libraries to thrive in the 21st century. He is a branch manager at Gwinnett County Public Library in metro Atlanta, where he does another podcast for the staff, Flip the Library.