Addendum (6/18/2021): In the middle of this episode, there is a conversation about storytime and copyright. I (Jill) mistakenly used the word “derivative” when I should have used the word “transformative.” What I described was the transformative use of a work during storytime. For more information on copyright and storytime, view these slides.
Maurice Coleman, Tom Haymes, Paul Signorelli, and Jill Hurst-Wahl were ‘on the call.’ We used part of a Jen Loesher article as our starting point. In her article, Loesher captures several recommendations “to ensure that our students and teachers get what they need”:
- Mental health and social-emotional support for students and teachers
- Professional learning/development for teachers, education professionals, and support staff
- Mentorship for early career and veteran teachers
- Grow your own educational professional programs & career pipelines
We talked about students, teachers/trainers, and institutions. What should institutions have done?
- Don’t panic.
- Remember that you need to deliver learning. Then think about what the right tools are.
- Already have a foot hold in a virtual space, rather than panicking and diving into online learning quickly (and without planning).
- Scale up what you already have.
- Understand what materials you need and what your rights are to use those materials. (There is a quick Fair Use discussion in this T is for Training.)
- Have the right people making decisions about what you’re going to do in terms of training. They need to be knowledgeable.
- Have the correct decision-making structures.
- Be sure to learn from your failures.
Paul brought up that some school districts and states are eliminating online learning as a reaction to what happened during the pandemic. See:
- New Jersey’s governor removes the remote learning option for the next school year.
- Illinois state board of education will require full-time schooling in fall with limited exceptions
You can listen to this episode of T is for Training on Talkshoe or wherever you listen to podcasts. Our next show will be in two weeks on July 1, 9 p.m. ET.
BTW Paul Signorelli has been interviewed by C-SPAN about his book, Change the World Using Social Media. That interview should air soon. Tom Haymes book, Learn at Your Own Risk, is currently one of the featured books at ATBOSH Media.